Tuesday, October 21, 2008

We're coming together..and coming apart

Over the past few days, I've been able to take some time to cruise the back roads here in Northern Indiana as well as Southwestern Michigan and I have been very surprised by what I've come across. I have never seen the level of support in this area that I am seeing for Senator Obama. While much of it is in the form of yard signs and bumper stickers, some of it is more personalized.

Near the South Bend Regional Airport, a family has turned their entire chainlink fence into one big billboard proclaiming support for Obama. Homemade letters stretch the length of the sign, making it very easy to spot from the highway. In Niles, Michigan, a young lady ringing up my purchases at an antique mall noticed my Obama button and said "He has to win. He just has to!" In Three oaks, Michigan, one yard boasted a black-and-white sign which read "Hey, You!! Bring back my Obama sign!!"

One of the real highlights of my trip was a stop at the "Harbor Country for Obama" headquarters in Union Pier, Michigan. Stopping in, I was greeted by two wonderful volunteers who made me feel so welcome. The asked where I was from, how long I had supported Senator Obama, and what things were looking like in Indiana. They also had one of the best selections of Obama buttons and T-shirts that I had ever seen locally. While I was there, a young couple from Los Angeles who were vacationing in the area stopped in. We were also joined by a lady from Chicago as well as a woman who had come to volunteer after dropping her daughter off at kindergarten. We all chatted for a few minutes. We all commented on how this campaign has given people a reason to hope again. There is a real excitement in the air.

At the same time, the open sewer that is the McCain/Palin campaign has found new ways of trying to distract the voting public from what their party has done to our nation and our economy. Now, they are using loaded words like "Un-American", "Pro-Amercia", and "Real America". As I have said before, America is so much better than what the McSlime/Palin campaign want us to think.

Last Friday, I watched "Hardball" on MSNBC and was horrified by Chris Matthews's interview with Minnesota Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann. In addition to impugning Senator Obama's patriotism, Congresswoman Bachmann went on to say that the media should investigate all Democratic members of Congress to see who is Anti-American. These kind of McCarthy tactics are reprehensible. No matter how much I may disagree with a right-wing loon like Bachmann, I would never insinuate that she is somehow Anti-American.

We need to stand up to wingnuts like Bachmann. It seems a lot of people share my feelings. Since her tirade on Friday, money has poured in to her (previously) under-funded challenger, El Tinklenberg. If anyone can spare a few dollars to try to defeat this right-wing harpy, please go to Tinklenberg for Congress to make a donation. We can call it "Dollars for Decency".

1 comment:

Father said...

Mike,
I couldn't agree with you more. I have been volunteering since the primary and I have never seen so many people of different ages and backgrounds coming together. It is terrific. I also know the other side is so hard nosed that I constantly fear violence is only a sneeze away. I hope this election goes smoothly. We already voted and I am suppose to work one of the northern polls on election day.